Earn under R350,000? Click here to see why you still need to file to get your Tax Refund.
File your Tax Return online with TaxTim

  Tax Done in 20 Mins or Less
  Maximise your Refund and find new Deductions
  Simple and Easy. No more SARS stress

Start now

Try Tim Now

How to catch up on outstanding returns when I have no income and expenditure records

Posted 20 October 2015 under Tax Questions

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →
Marie says:
20 October 2015 at 15:24

I resigned from my job in 2010 and took my pension to buy a small business, which I ran as a sole proprietor for 2. 5 years. During this time, I did not submit a tax return, as I wasn't sure how to do it. Also, I was not making much profit and more or less came out even at the end of every month. I then passed the business on to my son-in-law and started working again in 2013. All the income and expenditure info relating to the business was contained on a laptop, which subsequently crashed, so I have no records - paper or otherwise. My question is this: I am now able to capture my tax returns on eFiling, as I am now receiving IRP5s from my company, but the system won't allow me to as I have outstanding tax returns from 2011 and 2012. As I don't have records for these years, how do I catch up these tax returns, so that I can then submit 2013, 2014 and 2015? Also, I have tried to capture a tax return for 2012 and received the message LUMP SUM DECLARED BUT DIRECTIVE OUTSTANDING, which I don't understand, as I was taxed (heavily) on my pension and all due processes were followed at the time.

This entry was posted in Tax Questions and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTimTaxTim says:
20 October 2015 at 20:53

For the pension lumpsum in your 2012 Tax Return, you should follow up with your Fund Administrator for a copy of the Tax Directive to ensure the details agree with the IT3A/IRP5 certificates and then call SARS on 0800 007 277 to follow up the error message.

If your net income was below the tax threshold for 2011 (under age 65: R54,200) and 2012 (under age 65 : R59,750) then you can Swear an affidavit and take this to SARS to justify your earnings for 2011 and 2012. You could also take along bank statements from these years as further proof.

Get Tax Deadline Reminders, News and Tips

We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →