Earn under R350,000? Click here to see why you still need to file to get your Tax Refund.
Need Help with your 2016 Tax Return?

Get your tax return DONE in 10 minutes or less with TaxTim!

Learn More

Try Tim Now

How do I dispute an Additional Assessment issued by SARS that is not correct?

Posted 27 September 2015 under Tax Questions

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →
Pee says:
25 September 2015 at 9:47

Hi Tax Tim

I am very pleased with the work that you are doing here. Keep up the great work!!!

I submitted my tax return to SARS about a month ago and they selected me for verification/an audit because I had a refund payable to me. I submitted all the documentation they required (logbook, receipts etc), but they have recently responded with an addditional assessment stating that I owe them money - which cant be the case, as I am a 100% commission earner (with no basic salary) and I dont have a tax directive. All the expenses/deductions I claimed were expenses that were incurred in the production of income, but it seems to me that they have disallowed 95% of what I claimed with no valid explanation. Would I be able to dispute this and what would the process/reason behind this be?

Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.

This entry was posted in Tax Questions and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTimTaxTim says:
27 September 2015 at 17:05

We suggest you first run a Statement of Account to see the final balance due/payable to SARS. This is because you need to combine the two assessments to see the final balance due.

If you still do not agree with SARS, you can dispute an ITA34, by lodging a notice of objection. This is done by clicking the "dispute" button on your ITA34 on SARS eFiling or on the Income Tax Working Page and then you can then file a NOO (Notice of Objection).

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox

We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →