Earn under R350,000? Click here to see why you still need to file to get your Tax Refund.
File your Tax Return online with TaxTim

  Tax Done in 20 Mins or Less
  Maximise your Refund and find new Deductions
  Simple and Easy. No more SARS stress

Start now

Try Tim Now

Freelancer - local and international - Needs to start keeping records for tax purposes

Posted 31 July 2013 under Tax Questions

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →
I have been freelancing for local and international companies for a few months. I need to get my tax admin sorted out. I work from home and am on my husbands medical aid.

Where do I start and how do I maintain all my information that I need to? I'm happy to set up Excel docs to keep records. I'd like to know what I should be keeping records of, where I can benefit from tax refunds, and what expenses I can set against the business. Do you have any templates I could use?

Also, when I earn $ - is there anything special I should be doing?

This entry was posted in Tax Questions and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTimTaxTim says:
2 August 2013 at 22:27

You would first need to register as a taxpayer - How to get a SARS tax number - then most likely you would need to register as a provisional taxpayer - What is Provisional Tax? How and when?. See here for more info: Am I a Provisional taxpayer?

Keep excel records of all incomes and expenses related to business and for the foreign income you would use the exchange Rates which SARS prescribes.

All expenses related to earning the income will be allowed as a tax deduction, but you must keep records in case SARS requests proof. If you are on your husband's medical aid then your husband will claim this tax credit.

When it is time to complete your tax return, register at TaxTim and answer our simple questions one-by-one to have your return completed for you.

Register for TaxTim

Get SARS Tax Dates and Deadlines in your Inbox

We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →