Earn under R350,000? Click here to see why you still need to file to get your Tax Refund.
Don't Overpay Tax in 2016

  Make Tax Returns Quick & Easy.
  First time users SAVE 15%!

Click here

Try Tim Now

Does a courier service qualify as an independet contractor? What can be deducted from income earned

Posted 30 July 2015 under Tax Questions

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →
Dollar says:
30 July 2015 at 14:49

I have a courier service company that is not registered yet. Does this qualify me to be regarded as an independent contractor?

Because my company is not registered, SARS advised that the company's income should be added to my salary income for tax purposes. Are there any deductions from the company that I can deduct when submitting my tax return to SARS?

This entry was posted in Tax Questions and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTimTaxTim says:
30 July 2015 at 16:08

Whether or not you are perceived as an "employee" or independent contractor depends on a few factors.
The tax consequences for each are very different and therefore it is important to consider the below questions carefully so as to treat the income from your business correctly.

Do you have a variety of customers? Or will you be working mainly for one customer?
Are your hours of work controlled by the customer?
Are any tools/equipment provided by your customers? e.g. car, cellphone, laptop
Do you have anyone supervising you? i.e. someone from the customer company
Is your office based at a particular customer?

All business related expenses would be deductible against your income. e.g. telephone costs, car wear and tear (remember to keep a logbook and record business kms travelled), stationery, internet etc
You cannot deduct any personal expenditure and therefore will need to pro-rata some expenses (eg. telephone) between business and personal.

Get SARS Tax Dates and Deadlines in your Inbox

We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →