Is medical gap cover tax deductible?

I had a operation last year and the medical aid didn't cover everything. I have GAP cover paid money in my account to cover the shortfall. I paid it myself to the specialist.

Can I put this amount as "not paid by medical aid" As I understand GAP cover is a short term insurance and doesn't fall under the medical aid scheme act and therefore qualify for the medical tax credit.

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
24 April 2014 at 12:58

Yes, you cannot claim the gap cover as part of the medical aid tax credit, but you can put your contributions to the GAP cover scheme under, "not paid by medical aid"

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.