Do your tax with TaxTim and WIN R10,000  T&C's apply
How do you currently do your tax?
SARS eFiling Tax Practitioner Auto-assessment New to tax

I have been working out of SA for 6 months, what tax is exempt?

I have been working out of SA for 185 days, and have done the 60 consecutive days.I want to know what tax I can be exempt from. As this period falls between October and May, does the tax I paid on my annual Dec bonus count? If I stay out of the country for another say 2 weeks on leave, does this amount also count?Or if I work out the country again in July-August, how do they calculate the tax you avoid?Also what proof do I need to show I was working abroad?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
25 April 2013 at 11:58

Exempt Income Guidelines

The amount that you could claim as exempt is the portion of income earned while you were out of the country, the period out of the country is based on a calender year and not a tax year and will include that leave if the leave formed part of your employment entitlement.

TaxTim is FREE for all Momentum & Multiply members.

Use your ID number at the payment step to claim your free TaxTim voucher

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Get started FREE

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.