Commission Earner - what can I claim for tax purposes?

Posted 23 June 2015 under Tax Q&A
Dave says:
4 June 2015 at 11:48

I am a commission earner and familiar with submitting returns for petrol expenditure, medical aid and RA contributions. The only other expense that I have not claimed for is the use of my cell phone, which is used in majority for work purposes. The question is how do I prove, if audited, the allocation of phone calls that have been used for work purposes; or do I just apportion my monthly subscription fee, say R2000. 00 x0. 50 = R1,000. I just don't want to find myself in the predicament were I need to work through my call register, it would be a nightmare. Also, could you advise on what other expenses are claimable as a commission earner? I do understand that wear and tear on my vehicle will be covered under the SARS per kilometer rate, but that's really as far a my knowledge goes. I want to make sure that I am deriving the maximum benefit when applying for refunds. Thanking you in advance. Kind Regards

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
5 June 2015 at 8:29

Yes, you can claim for the cell phone. There are two elements, one being the handset which you can depreciate and then the actual calls you make. Unfortunately the best way is to go through your call log and identify work calls. SARS does find it difficult to prove that you did not use your phone for work especially with the new ways people use technology. You could consider using the hours of the day you work as a percentage of the day you aren't sleeping or some similar apportionment method.

TaxTim can help you file your Tax return!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →