Independent Contractor Posts in Tax Q&A

Request for surporting docs, but all I have in an IRP5

Thanks for an awesome blog!!!!! Its the first time that I submitted for a tax return. I completed it a few days ago for the last 5 yrs. It showed that a refund is due for 2013 and 2014, but for 2014 they want supporting docs. Since I have no medical aid, travel allowance etc I submitted my IRP5's - is this all I need to submit and what are the chances of the refund amount changing etc?

No receipts for medical expenses, what happens now?

I have been asked to submit supporting documents. I don't have the receipts for medical expenses just a tax invoice (as always) from my pharmacist for the total amount for the period, what happens now?

Claims for commission-earner

Hi Tim, I earn a set salary with commission and allowances such as travel and cell phone and a small portion of medical aid. 1. Can I claim back for the additional Gap cover I pay for? 2. Can I claim for my monthly insurance on my car? 3. Can I claim for my car license I paid for? I had been using a broker over the last 2 years and I see they never put in for any of the above. Nor did she claim for the service I paid for on my car? Please can you help?

Employer provided vehicle

How is taxation calculated on employer provided vehicle? Should it be taxed monthly or do you calculate it when you submit your income tax return? Can you deduct fuel cost? Should a logbook be maintained?

Invalid codes 3713, 3801 and 3702 on IRP5

I did not receive a travel allowance, but on my IRP5 there is R25,000 with the code 3713. Any travel I did for the employer I claimed back as a reimbursed claim. Is the R25000 correct? Additionally, there are codes for 3801 and 3702 which I believe are incorrect. Can you clarify what these might be for?

Medical contributions as an independent contractor

Can I claim medical expenses of my own but working as an independent contractor?

How best to set up my photography business with regards to taxation?

Hello Tax Tim I work as an analyst full time; and in my free time I follow my passion for music and photography and take photos at festivals, clubs, pubs and other events. I have been building up a profile over the past few years of my work and now I have artists and their relative management agencies showing interest in procuring some of my images.

I have not registered a company yet, nor have I sold any images as I first want to ensure I set up my "business" and contract documents correctly so my clients and I are covered fairly and equally...

Read more →

3 work related expenses, where do I allocate them and how much?

I spent R4 085.53 on vehicle maintenance tyres, 25/08/2014. I spent R25 748.85 on cellular bills, at least 60 to 70 percent of this annual bill was work related (14/15). I spent R5 553.44 on vehicle insurance for the year (14/15).

My question is, where would I associate these expenses to?

Do I charge VAT?

I am offering a service to a company that is in Durban for a whole week. My accommodation and transport costs are billed to the client. My question is that does the accommodation costs attract output VAT for my company. Do I charge VAT for the accommodation billed to the client?

Claiming for elderly dependants medical aid contributions - Supporting documents

My parents are both pensioners and dependent on me financially. I pay for their medical aid, while I am on another medical aid. I have included both medical aids on my tax return, with the appropriate number on dependents noted every month.

SARS has asked for supporting documents to be submitted. I submitted: yearly contribution summaries from both medical aids, monthly invoices from my parent's medical aid addressed to me with my bank account details on them, debit order statement from my bank showing both being deducted every month as well as a covering letter explaining the situation. ...

Read more →

Retrenchment on IRP 5

If I was retrenched and paid out, where to do I put the amount that I was paid out and how does this effect my tax return?

Severance payment

What are the tax implications for compensation resulting from unfair dismissal by an employer?

Travel Allowance and take home pay

Using your tax calculator, why is the travel allowance deducted from your take home pay? I understand 80% is included for your PAYE calculation, but your travel allowance should get paid out, unless the company pays costs on your behalf. What am I missing?

Why must I buy or pay for a tax return from you?

I thought one is not suppose to pay to make SARS tax returns. So I don't understand this part that requires me to buy a package?

How is the 3703 travel allowance calculated?

I received a reimbursive travel allowance under code 3703 of about 41 000 on my IRP5. I traveled over 8000 km and my rate was above the gazetted rate of 3. 30 for part of the year.

1) Will SARS reduce my taxable travel allowance by 30 555(8000*3. 30).
2) If I kept a log book is they a section that I will enter the deductible amount on my IRP5 and what is the code.
3) Will I get a refund if my deduction amount exceeds my taxable travel allowance amount or is it limited to ...

Read more →

I want to register as independent tax consultant

I need to register as tax consultant. What do I need?

Why is my home office selected for verification second year in a row?

I work from my home office as a graphic designer. My annual income is under R500 000. This is the second year in a row I've been selected for verification. Any idea why and what does it mean? What should I be doing differently to prevent being flagged? Is it a reflection I'm doing something wrong?

What is the difference between a Tax Certificate and the Tax Directive?

What is the difference between a Tax Certificate and the Tax Directive? I have asked my Funds Administrator from my previous work to provide me with a Tax Directive but they sent me a Tax Certificate. I am getting a message from SARS that my tax return has been put on-hold because there is a Tax Directive that's outstanding. Please assist.

Tax on salary R10000 plus petrol allow R2 000

I am starting a new job. My salary will be R10 000,00 a month plus a R2 000 petrol allowance. No other benefits. What can I expect to clear?

Can a School Principal claim depreciation as a deduction on certain assets he uses for work puposes?

Can a School Principal claim depreciation on his laptop, cellphone and car that he bought himself but uses a lot for school/work purposes?

How to declare additional income for part-time contract work and pay tax on that

I am employed by the Department of Education (admin) and I get an additional amount from the School Governing Body for extra work done after hours and weekends. I pay 25% PAYE on this extra income.

However, I'm also doing debtors for a company on an online system as an independent contractor (20 hours per month) for which they do not deduct PAYE. I work at home and with no supervision. I have not registered this as any sort of business.

How much tax do I need to pay and h...

Read more →

Car allowance for full year if I worked 6 months

I worked for 6 months and got a car allowance. I moved jobs and didn't get allowance. must I complete logbook for full year? What can I claim? I had a big service when at the new job and nobody paying for it.

I need my deceased fathers tax number

How do I go about finding out what my father's tax number is? He is deceased and the executor is my grandfather and he is too old to travel as he lives in another province. I am his only living child. Is there another. Way of finding out the tax number without having the executor present as Sanlam needs it?

Must I submit the log book when submiting on SARS efiling?

I need to do SARS e-filing. What I would like to ask is does the travel log book have to be attached or only on request by SARS? The log book has been done manually in a book so I will have to transfer all that information into digital form but thought I could go ahead do e-filing without attaching it, and then if they request then I could do a digital form of the logbook and send it to them. Is this right?

Out-of-pocket dependent medical payments

If I am a dependant on my husbands medical aid, but pay my own out-of-pocket (not covered by medical aid) expenses, can I claim this on my tax and where do I do that?
Older posts →← Newer posts    9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29

Do your Tax Return in 20 minutes or less!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.