Commission Posts in Tax Q&A

Earned R43000 comm earner year ended feb 2015, travel & depreciation R17000 will I get tax refund

Earned R43000 commission only year ended feb 2015, have travel expenditure of R13800 with log book and depreciation of R4200 on my vehicle, will I get tax refund?

Taxable Income

Please enter your Taxable Income. This is your Gross Income minus the business-related expenses from business or rental income. Also subtract any contributions to a pension fund or retirement annuity fund, donations, depreciation and other travel allowance deduction and any exempt income. Does this mean petrol, stationery, ink rent etc.?

Request for vehicle purchase agreement

I submitted my tax returns via eFiling, I also claimed for travel expenses refunds on 2 vehicles my tax returns were selected for verification by auditors who are now requesting for copies of purchase agreement for both vehicles. I have contacted the bank to request for the copy of my old vehicle as I no longer have one, they told me the document has been archived and promised to send it through as soon as they have access to the file. I have waited without receiving the document is there an al...

Read more →

Do you deduct incurred expenditures against business income or paid expenditure?

When seeking to deduct expenditure against my business income in the 'business income" section, I apply the general rule right - only deduct what I actually incurred to date, not what I paid?

What should my take home be (PAYE and UIF)

My Salary is R12500-00 excluding my travel allowance of R9000-00 which I get taxed 20% as 80% of the time I use my car for business. What should take home be? Please help!!!!

Can you claim back tax paid on a lump sum pension pay out?

HI, if I stopped working in May last year and got a pension payout, can I claim back the tax paid on it based on my income over the year?


I submitted my tax claim for 2015 on SARS and made a mistake the first time (not adding medical aid tax amount) and requested a correction ( added the tax amount ) but then I was under audit so today 30 days later I receive a phone call from SARS asking me to submit my tax clearance breakdown certificate, the only problem I have now is that I didn't even know you should claim the slips because they are added in to the tax clearance breakdown certificate. Now what will happen?

the la...

Read more →

No travel allowance tax claim help

I am using my vehicle for business purposes and I kept a Skytrax logbook. I traveled about 40% of my KM's for business. I do not have a travel allowance and my commission was less than 50% of my income. Can I still claim my travel expenses? My Employer is not willing to amend the IRP5 to include a travel allowance. I still feel that I am out of pocket and I was not advised by my Employer when I started that I should structure my salary with a travel allowance. Please advise if there is a way...

Read more →

Medical refund from SARS - made a mistake?

Good day, I submitted my tax return on Saturday only to find out on Monday that I left out some medical stuff I need to claim for, can I resubmit my tax return after I already got a refund from SARS?

Travel expenses claim?

I have done freelance consultancy work for 2 companies over a period of 3 months. The other months of the tax year I have been in fixed employment at a companies deducting PAYE with no travel allowance. Have not kept details of fuel and vehicle expenses. Can I claim a travelling expense for the 3 months based on kilometers driven ito the fixed cost and variable cost travel allowance method? If not what method should I use for travel expenses as a deduction against the production of the consultan...

Read more →

Depreciation for SARS.

I have used TaxTim to calculate my depreciation. SARS is now looking for supporting documentation. What do I need to submit?

Fleet Cards

How should employer tax work on the following:

Employee uses a company fleet card for fuel cost. Example of the July:
July Fleet Card Balance of statement R3 500
Travel claim (1 000 km @ R2. 05 p/km) R2 050
Deduction from employee for private use of fleet card R1 450 (R3 500 - 2 050)

Under which IRP 5 code should the travel claim be?
Should it be 3702 because the employee pays back the private use of the fleet card therefore there is no fringe benefit.

How is it possible that I have never received a tax refund since 2005?

How is it possible that I have never received a tax refund since 2005?. I employed by a corporate (approx 40 000. 00 employees) that pays my tax for me.

What will my perk tax be?

how do i determine perk tax on a vehicle of R250 000

Pension and maintenance

Hi, if I receive maintenance for 7 months do I declare this on my tax return as income
and if I drew a lump sum out of my pension of R480000-00 is this taxed and under what section on tax return

Thank u

What other documents are needed to hand in with IRP5 at branch or efiling?

Hi, what other documents is requiered at the SARS branch whith my IRP5? And do I need it for SARS eFiling as well? Thanks

Take home amount after tax

Hello Tim. My lik brother got a job that willl give him about 20 000 commission without basic. He needs to know how much he takes home after tax

Incorrect year on tax directive is stopping processing of tax return

Momentum paid out a small pension surplus to me in April 2015 (falls in the 2016 tax year) but dated the tax directive for the 2014 tax year, SARS are refusing to process my tax return due to the income not appearing on my IRP5. Can the directive be amended or is there any other solution available?

Audit taking forever - now escalated ?

Hi guys, I submitted my tax return on the 1st July. My tax return was assessed and it was shown that a payout was due but I was selected for an Audit. After waiting 31 days I phoned and they acknowledged that this had taken longer than the stipulated time and escalated my query... I was told this could take a further 21 days???

Are we really at the mercy of the system or is there any other recourse we can take? (straight forward tax return - no vehicle allowance etc. )

Confirmation letter

I recieved the following confimation letter, what does it mean? Will I recieve my refund within the next few day's or what?

Dear Taxpayer


We refer to the verification of your assessment for the 2015 tax period. Please note that no adjustment has been made to this assessment. However, in terms of the Tax Administration Act the South African Revenue Service reserves the right to conduct further reviews in future if required. Should you have any queries please call the SARS Contact Centre on 0800 00 SARS (7277). Remember to have your ID number or income tax number at hand when you call to enable us to assist you promptly. Sincerely...

Read more →

Salary 10 000 + 2000 fuel allowance - tax?

If I receive a monthly salary of R10000 and a fuel allowance of R2000 - how much will I clear

Am I and independent Contractor or a Bookkeeper for tax purposes; can I deduct a pc course as an exp

I am a bookkeeper for 2 entities with the same directors, but different company and tax numbers. I invoice a fixed fee per month, but split it based on the pro-rate turnover per entity. I work form my study although I also do visit their office especially certain periods during the month - ie mid-month for invoicing and month end to balance the books. Question: Does this mean I am an Independent Contractor? Is this applicable for the 80/20 split as an independent contractor? Do they have to deduct tax from me on a monthly basis?...

Read more →

How to declare foreign income?

Hi, I have a small website that generates some commission from clicks on advertisements. I get paid in USD and GBP. The money is wired from Germany directly to my personal bank account and converted into ZAR. I don't own a formal business and it is relatively small amounts that are transferred. I also have a property that generates rental income. How do I go about declaring the income properly on my tax returns?

Are vehicle repayments tax deductable for a sole-proprietor?

I am a sole proprietor in a health profession. I have an office, but I see a lot of clients at their homes or primary residence. I need a car to conduct my business, and have just bought a new car. What are the tax implications of this? Can I deduct the repayments and insurance premium as a business expense?

Home expenses when working from home and commission is less than 50 % of income

If you earn a fixed salary and commission from the same employer and the commission is less than 50 % of the salary, can a deduction for home office space be utilised?
The employer confirms in writing that the employee works from home only and the employee incurred expenses to set up and amintian the home office. The salary was structured in a way to also include a Travel allowance and full logbook detail is being kept
Older posts →← Newer posts    7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.