Deductions Posts in Tax Q&A

Is a monetary donation to my unemployed spouse tax deductible

My husband is 61 years old and unemployed, I support him while I am full time employed. Is this contribution tax deductible?

Do I have to pay additional tax for deducting my car from my salary before tax?

How does deducting your vehicle from your gross salary affect your tax. The vehicle purchased is for personal use however we have the option of deducting it directly from our salaries before tax.

How long before I get my funds owed to me by SARS

SARS used my pension lump sum to pay my administration penalties balance. I have however since this submitted the returns and SARS now owe me an amount. Do you perhaps know how long this could take, as I called them yesterday and they said that all queries on my account was finally resolved.

Never filed a return, can I still do it now?

I have been employed for 3 years and my employer deducted tax from my income. They however never gave me an IRP5 and I have no proof of the income I earned from them as they issued electronic payslips and I never printed it.
2 Months ago they closed their doors and all employees was left stranded, can I perhaps still claim the tax I paid back from SARS if they over taxed me?

Foreign medical aid

I'm a French citizen, resident with work permit. I pay a Medical Aid in France, for me and 3 other persons. Can I get a deduction?

Is it still important to keep invoices of one year if business will only be registered in February?

I have started a shop from home for one year and will register my business only now in February? Is it important to keep the receipts for goods bought in order to file for VAT? Or must I only keep it from the day I am registered? I have kept a book of all my sales for the past year? Is it important for later use once registered?

HOw can I get my refund?

SARS owes me more than R12000 and refuse to pay because I have not submitted a tax return for 2008, how can I correct this?

Is SITE from 2009 ever refundable?

Could I please get assistance with my query. In 2009 I earned R29000 for the entire year as I only worked for a portion of the year. SITE of R1064 was deducted over 6 months. I have tried getting a refund of this money by submitting my tax return however SARS is adamant that I am not due a refund as SITE is non refundable. They have informed me that I should request my SITE to be paid back to me by my employer. Can you please advise.

May I claim for travel from my home office to my office?

May I claim for travel from my home office to my office?

Commission tax?

If I earn commission, can I claim back personal expenses too such as rental of my flat even if I dont work from home?

Non-resident tax

I would like to ask if the following person is taxable in SA:

A German citizen worked in SA from November 2015 to January 2017. He is employed by a German company and his salary was paid into a German bank account in Euro's. The German company deducted monthly tax from his earnings up to December 2015 and then instructed him to start paying tax is SA. He registered for tax with SARS in January 2017 and received a tax number. He worked for a sister company of the German company in ...

Read more →

Can you check if I owe SARS?

I am an employee and have been working for 6 years. I have however never submitted my tax returns, can I still submit them and will I get a refund?

Can I deduct 27.5% retirement fund contribution from my gross income?

As a sole proprietor can I deduct 27. 5% retirement fund contributions from my total income before expenses? I render a professional service.

Can I claim the VAT on my purchases?

I have my own salon and wanted to know if I can claim back the VAT I paid on products I bought for the salon? I am not a registered VAT vendor.

Claim tax on training from employer

My company is sending me on a payroll course, can I claim back the amount I had to pay for text books and traveling to and from campus?

Is TaxTim right for a film director that earns fees and profit share on each job?

I am a film director and only get paid per job. Some years I earn a lot, others, less. And I have lots of deductions. Can TaxTim work with me to help me do what I need?

Negative amount on my SARS statement

Must admit I dont understand tax. I now have a negitive amount on the statement of accounts balance. What does it mean?

Statement of Account

Received statement of account and it shows R0 indicating that an electronic refund is made 24\01\2017. Will I get paid on that date? Audit now days NO?!

Change of details after been audited

I have submitted my return and my medical aid which I pay for my wife and child was disallowed. After carefully looking into the notes I found that I had incorrectly stated on my IRP that I am married out of community of property instead of in community of property. Please can you advise me on how to change this as I have already been audited and I cannot request a correction?

Claim for nursing home?

I pay the nursing home my old aged father stays at, can I claim this expense on my return as he is my dependent on my medical aid?

Can I claim full depreciation on a broken cellphone?

I had a cellphone that I was calculating depreciation on. However the phone broke and I now have a new phone which I will claim depreciation on. For the previous phone, am I able to claim the remaining deprecation amount (that I would have been claiming on in coming years) in the current tax year?

Import VAT claim

I have just registered my pty Ltd this January 2017 and I need know what tax should I collect for SARS when invoice clients for the products I will be selling. When I registered my company at CIPC I received a doc from SARS for the company named income tax., do I use this when invoicing on the place of VAT is this the inc Me tax I should collect for SARS from clients? Thanks

Can I still submit old returns for a company?

If a company has not submitted a tax return since 2012, should it go online and submit returns or apply for voluntary disclosure?

Can I claim back the tax I pay on my travel allowance?

I have a code 3701 on my IRP5, can you tell me how the tax is calculated on the amount please?

Can a contract worker claim tax back on a home office?

I am a contract worker earning an hourly rate. My income differs each month depending on the hours worked. I work from a home office. What is considered to be deductible expenses?
Older posts →← Newer posts    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20

TaxTim can help you file your Tax return!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.